* Oil and gas are made of a mixture of different hydrocarbons.
* As the name suggests these are large molecules made up of hydrogen atoms attached to a backbone of carbon.
* During mid-Mesozoic times around 150 million years ago, conditions were just right!
* The world’s main oil deposits all formed in warm shallow seas where plankton bloomed but bottom waters
Exploration and Production : The Situation Today
* Global oil and gas occurrences are now well understood (provinces
shown in green).
| Natural Gas
World’s third largest commercial fuel
* 23% of global energy consuption.
* Produces half as much CO2 as equivalent amount of coal.
* Most rapidly growing energy source.
* Often extractd from the same wells as petroleum.
Refining crude oil:
Components of petroleum are removed at various levels, depending on their boiling points,
in a giant distillation column. The most volatile components with the lowest boiling points are removed at the top of the column.